Monday, December 25, 2023

Saturday December 23rd & Sunday December 24th, 2023 - Wrapping Things Up

Canadian Wooden Ornaments

 Allowing a week for our vacation was more than enough time, so we were able to maintain a somewhat leisurely pace. Did we se everything that one could see? - probably not - but it was just right for us.

Place Royale

As this is Christmas Day (I'm sitting at the airport - delayed flight), I have to be sure you get a few more Christmas photos before we wrap this up. I always love when I can get some photos that are not filled with people. The little square in this photo was beautiful and it was late enough and cold enough that there were not many folks out and about. It houses a church (behind me) which is the oldest stone church in Canada. It is also the site which was first settled by Champlain in 1608 and long remained a vital hub of activity for over a century.

Rue du Petit Champlain

Of course I have to show you the lovely small pedestrian street all lit up with night lights! It was always busy, so you see people here.

Horse Drawn Buggy Rides

There was a horse drawn carriage in the old city - just like Fernandina! I only saw one, so thankfully not many of those poor animals have to navigate the traffic. The driver was definitely rugged up. I liked the little shoulder cape.

Joan of Arc Parc

I took a sunset walk near our AirBNB, along the Plains of Abraham, where a strategic battle was fought between the French and the English. I loved the low light and the way it highlighted the grasses in this little park.

Close-up of the Grass Plume

 Of course, I had to try to capture the delicate beauty of the flower heads which are holding on through the freezing weather. I liked their gossamer appearance.

Martello Tower by St. Lawrence River

We do get winter skies in Fernandina Beach, but I loved seeing the muted colors of the sunset here. The tower is one of four that were built after the Anglo-American crisis of 1807. Apparently they were never put to use, which I think is a good thing.

Avenue Ontario

There were many out walking, either with or without dogs and other were running. We were headed south-east toward the Art Museum  where there was another skating rink.

Wonderful Fun!

I'm not sure why I found it such fun to see skaters out like this - after all, even in Florida, we have skating rinks. I think it was the pleasure of seeing such a mix of ages and abilities and all being outside that seemed so delightful.

Track Freezer

It was an artificially cooled track - a circuit about the size of a football field. You can se the equipment behind this boy, which maintains the 'freeze'. I guess even if it goes above freezing, the skating can be maintained.

Ice Hockey Rink

Nearby was a smaller rink where a hockey practice was taking place - also outside. The sticks look bigger than the kids!

Busy Playground

A I suspected, I also discovered that the cold and mittens don't slow the children down when it comes to enjoying a playground.

Day Comes to an End

The sun was announcing it was time to head back to 'home'.

Public Firepit?

On the way home I saw this lovely little gathering at the other end of the Joan of Arc Park. There was a grouping of Christmas trees (perhaps to shelter from the wind?) with a firepit where people were gathered, having an animated philosophical conversation in English while seated in the Adirondack chairs. It was a Saturday - Happy Hour? I wanted to join them!

Cap Blanc Stairs

 The last item on our agenda was a visit to a Nordic spa down by the river. So we headed down this very steep set of stairs. It was clearly a site for people to exercise - there were running up and down multiple times! It makes sense that they be constructed from wood - metal would get much slipperier with any precipitation in the cold. I imagine maintaining them is expensive, though!

Strom Nordic Spa

The spa was very luxurious - lots of outdoor thermal pools, saunas, cold plunge pools, steam rooms, salt scrubs, waterfalls, infra-red beds and relaxation spaces indoor and out. I decided the experience might help me decide to get back to swimming in Fernandina, as the cold was not nearly as bad as I feared.

Thermal Pool at Strom Spa

While I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the spa, getting in and out of the facility was a tedious process - we waited  in line over half-an-hour in spite of having an online reservation.

Infra-Red Beds

I particularly liked the infra-red room. By the time I left I was cleaner than I think I have ever been and my bones were toasty!

I Hope Santa Has Been Good to You

And so, I leave you with this quaint window from Smith Cafe in Place Royale. Robyn and I have enjoyed this surfeit of Christmas in the cold North. We hope you also have had a pleasing Christmas and thank you for journeying along with us.

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment