Thursday, December 21, 2023

Wednesday December 20th, 2023 - Too Much Christmas?

A 'Rustic' Wreath at Lapin Saute Restaurant

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Quebec City was to enjoy the Christmas decorations, which the internet had said were excellent. Today's blog will convince you of that, but you might also say - enough already! 

More from Lapin Saute

However, as it is still just a few days before Christmas, I'm going to indulge myself and hope these images enhance the Christmassy feelings you are hopefully already feeling.

Firewood Window decor in Rue du Petit Champlain

One type of decoration that was new to me was the use of wood and everyday objects along with the usual pine boughs and cones in the arrangements. Not only is it pragmatic - one doesn't rush to the store for more goods from China, they can then be used later, when one can get outside, or be burned later in this case.

Store on Rue des Jardins

I particularly liked this arrangement of red painted snowshoes on the pine boughs. Very Canadian - particularly the red!

Place D'Armes

I even saw wood being used as decoration absent the Christmas season, as seen in this restaurant. I do love seeing natural and everyday materials being put to use by those creative souls who can come up with such lovely ways to use them.

Lapin Saute Restaurant on Rue du Petit Champlain

Our day started with a lovely lunch at this restaurant. It was cozy and after a delicious spread with rabbit and duck, we left very well fed.

(By the way, I am not going to try to put in the acutes, breves and circumflexes that French words demand - too complicated Those of you who know they are missing will just have to 'tut tut' at my laziness in not trying to figure out how to type them!)

Yes, the store really was called 'Fucklamode' on Rue du Petite Champlain

Somehow I wasn't convinced that this store really believes that fashion doesn't matter - to me it looked very stylish and probably expensive. I didn't goin to check the labels - perhaps they charge even more to be 'unfashionable'!

Making Snow on the Toboggan run at Dufferin Terrace

Today the temperature dropped below freezing, so the snowmakers can get to work. I hope we will see this toboggan run put to use next time we visit.

View from the Citadel

We climbed up to the Citadel and enjoyed looking down to the buildings at river level. The cliffs are quite steep - hence the stairs and a funicula going from the river level to the terrace.

Vapor Announces Heat!

I don't know why I thought the emissions were picturesque - we see plenty of them in Fernandina Beach from the paper mills. Somehow the abundance of vapor suggested 'steam' rather than 'pollution', so I thought it rather lovely.

Santa Headed to Work

One of the Christmas features are the German Christmas Markets. There are five locations of little wooden booths set up in the squares and parks. I figured this Santa was headed to work at one of them. I loved the mittens - I imagine he would have appreciated them on the sleigh!

German Christmas Market - Jardins de l'Hotel de Ville

The markets were busy - cute little booths and lots of food items, warm clothing, trinkets etc were available.

Hand Warming at Jardins de l'Hotel de Ville

I appreciated these hand warmers - my fingers got quite cold managing camera settings.

Booth at German Christmas Market

The booths looked cozy and warm - I hoped they had some type of heater in them. This one didn't have customers gathered around, so I presume people are already equipped with their warm clothing.

A Busy Booth Selling Caramel Sauce

This booth was very busy. I waited quite a while to get this shot without customers crowding the counter. As you see, one of the men noticed me and smiled for the camera!

School Children Singing Carols at Jardins de l'Hotel de Ville

We were treated to carol singing at one of the markets - the kids looked so cute in all their bundled up winter clothing and smiling faces.

Chateau Frontenac, Holy Trinity Church From Jardins l'Hotel de Ville

As it gets dark around 4 pm, I didn't have to stay up late to get some night photographs. Robyn and I went off in different directions, so I was able to wander home from here - camera at the ready.

Giant Advent Calendar

The decor of the German Markets was as interesting as the goods themselves. This Giant Advent Calendar had lighted scenes below it hat people cold uncover for each of the days of Advent. It also appeared to have been created with wood.

Wooden Village at Place de Youville

I promise, this will be the last on the 'wood' theme - but isn't it pretty? These little villages were on top each of the booths at the Place de Youville location of the German Christmas Markets. 

Maison de Ville - City Hall

I thought the lighting at the City Hall was delightful. I had to wait a while for the Instagrammers to clear from their creations here.

L'Entrecote St-Jean, Rue Saint-Jean

I wandered home along Rue Saint-Jean.I was delighted to see the scene above and snapped this photo with my cell phone. Even without snow on the streets, the old-world charm is delightful - I had hoped to see it in the snow, but it's pretty good as is.

Skaters at Place de Youville

It was also a great deal of fun to find skaters at Place de Youville by the Saint-Jean City Gate. I figured that if I got out there with them, I would rely on one of the 'frames' you see to reduce my likelihood of falling with my stiff knees. People were out having fun.

Place de Youville

The lighting at Place de Youville was a delight. With the skating rink, the German Market, a big pile of snow that the kids piled on and the Theatre Capitole all lit up, it was colorful and vibrant. It also was a transportation hub, with lots of buses. I thought it was wonderful - one of my lovely surprises on my walk home.

Eating Igloos at  L'Atelier Restaurant

I also was excited to see that this restaurant near our AirBNB had dining igloos. I had first seen the temporary ones that were put up in Fernandina Beach for Dickens on Centre, but was happy to see they have outlived Covid here. I wonder if they keep them up for summer. I will have to try one out some day -they look as if they would be cozy, quiet and hopefully warm.

Oz One Resto, Grande Allee

Now, there IS a risk that one can get overdosed on Christmas and I hope this blog hasn't done that for you. This restaurant with the video windows of choristers singing is within hearing distance of our AirBNB. It signals that we are nearly 'home' as we walk. They sing electronic carols from 10 am in the morning until 10 pm at night! We are risking an auditory overdose here! I hope that is not happening to you.

 Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment