Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Sunday June 30th to Wednesday July 3rd, 2024 - Back to the Beginning of it All (For Me)

 Before my trip to Quebec with Robyn, in December last year, I had started planning for a long overdue trip back to Australia. The success of our brief, sojourn in Canada led me to hope that my back issues were sufficiently resolved and that the long flight over the Pacific Ocean might be possible for me again. While my severe sciatic pain had been resolved by the surgery I had last year, ongoing, mild neurological issues, arthritic knees and a hip injury have given me many moments of uncertainty and fear of re-injury to my bones from the many hours of sitting entailed in such a journey.

Art Work, Atlanta Airport
(Evokes my hope for success, shadowed by fears of more back pain.)

Buoyed by regular walking, swimming, yoga, Pilates, massage, acupuncture, anti-inflammatories and gabapentin, I departed Fernandina Beach feeling fit and in a triumphant mood. (God, that's a long list - this  business of self care has become very much more involved than it used to be!)

My confidence was also helped by finding that Air New Zealand's innovations have led to their offering a lay down option in economy, which is called the Economy Sky Couch. I knew this would really help me manage the risks of the long flight. It also added that delicious spirit of adventure for me to try something new.

Air New Zealand Economy Sky Couch

A woman in the row in front of me commented - 'You lucked out, girl', when she saw my lovely space of the entire row, but it was actually a privilege I had purchased through the Air New Zealand ticketing platform. I was able to get all three seats, and they had footrests that folded up to widen the bed. the white 'blanket' you see here is actually a mattress pad to help soften the surface underneath, and there is a special seat belt adaptor (which they call a cuddle belt), to allow me to stay buckled in without twisting. Instead of me blathering on about it, here's a more detailed review.  https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/skycouch-air-new-zealand/

Art Work, Auckland Airport

The down-side of this decision, was that it made the journey longer, as I had to go through Auckland, but I felt it was well worth it. Once settled (with the mattress pad underneath me!), I was able to almost stretch out completely. Getting out for bathroom trips was accomplished by scooting down and twisting around the aisle armrest. I was glad for all that yoga. There's no denying that it is not as smooth as Business Class, but at a third of the price, I was happy and slept quite well.

In spite of the ability to lay down for the long portion of the flight, I was relieved to step out into the Australian sunshine after about 36 hours of travel. 

Welcoming and Brief Sign at Sydney Airport

The Aussies do like to abbreviate words, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the sign doesn't spell out the whole word!

Greeting Sign in the Local Aboriginal Language

This nearby sign gave a more comprehensive greeting in the local aboriginal language. Gamay stands for Botany Bay (where the airport is located) and the indigenous people who lived here were called Gamayngal. I like this recognition of pre-colonial times and appreciate these attempts to extend my knowledge of history and remind me of the existence of much older times.

Walk to St. Leonards

Although rain was expected, it was actually a lovely day. I chose my AirBNB in Narenmburm, on the North Shore of Sydney, to facilitate visits with an aunt, who lives in Cammeray. As I left the airport around 10 am, I still had a few hours to fill before I could check in. Fortunately I was able to drop my bags there and then wander a bit, which is my favorite way to visit a new place.

Modern Space, St. Leonards

I chose to head for St Leonards, which was familiar to me from the days in the 1950's and 60's when we took the train to town, or drove through on the Pacific Highway. I also wanted to find the train station and learn how to get tickets. (Turns out it's very simple - just swipe your Mastercard or Visa as you get on and off - tap on, tap off. The same applies o the bus, which is very convenient for a short stay - no need to buy special 'cards'.)

Public Art, St, Leonards

Obviously it has changed a lot over the years! I thought the area has developed into a lovely urban space with pleasing designs, green spaces and art work. Eateries were plentiful and culturally varied with a strong offering of many different Asian cuisines. Certainly different from the days we drove through, over five decades ago (oh, my! Am I really that old!).

Remnants of Fall Leaves - Walking Back to AirBNB

Reminders that it is winter were evident. Sunny seats in a park were popular, the clothing people wore had them bundled up and an occasional chill wind swung by. I was happy to get back to check into my AirBNB, pull out more warm clothing and head off to meet my aunt for a lovely dinner and catch up.

Crow's Nest - A Crazy Bird in a Tree

Often when we drove through this area, Mom would mention that I had been born in Crow's Nest, so my morning adventure on Wednesday found me heading off to find my birthplace. Thanks to locating my birth record in the Sydney Morning Herald (isn't the internet wonderful!), I headed toward Crow's Nest to find the Mater Hospital. 

Crazy Bird Near the New Mater Hospital

I giggled when I saw that crazy bird in the flimsy tree. Might this have been the 'crow' after which the suburb was named! At first I thought it was a turkey vulture, but found out later, it is a brush turkey, a native bird which is protected. It was busy eating berries off the twigs - easier to find I guess, without all the leaves in the way. It actually was right by the hospital where I was born, but I didn't realize that when I saw it. 

Crow's Nest Hotel - Likely Dad Had a Beer or two Here!

My first search was to find the apartment where Mum and Dad had lived in the early 1950's. It was 1/26 Hazelbank Road, which was not far from this old pub. I never really cared for knowing that I was born in a place with such an unfortunate name - I mean, really! Crow's Nest! 

26 Hazelbank Road, Wollstonecraft, NSW

I found the apartment building, which Mum and Dad would have called 'flats'. On this overcast day, it seemed rather dark and dim - happily there was a brief glimpse of sunshine for me, to brighten up the vegetation.

Flat 1

Mum and Dad lived in this ground floor apartment, which I'm sure Mum appreciated, as getting the prams and strollers of the day up and down the stairs would have been a nightmare! Dad was often out at sea during this time (He was in the Australian Navy). He had just been home for a while, but four days after he left in January 1951, Mum went into labor (or labour, as they say here).

Rae Hood and Alwynne, 1951

I think this photo of Mum holding me, was taken in front of the flat they lived in.

The Old Mater Hospital, 15 Sinclair Street, Wollstonecraft, NSW

When she went into labor, Mum's Auntie Dulce was summoned to clean the flat and look after my older sister, Nadine. A friend drove her here, even though it was just a few blocks away from the flat. I had imagined she might have walked, but her letter to Dad suggested that things felt petty imminent! It is now an apartment building, but the signs of its previous function were evident. It was a 'Misericordia' hospital, run by The Sister's of Mercy. In her letter to Dad, when Mum had referred to the 'sisters'. I always thought that was the way they referred to nurses in those days, but now I realize if was because she was in a Catholic Hospital.

Bas Relief Above the Entrance to The Old Mater Hospital

I especially liked this bas relief above the doorway into the hospital. I'd like to think it was about the nuns caring for the babies born there, but as it was not solely a birth center, it is more likely to be the Madonna and Child. I loved to see it so nicely preserved.

The New Mater Hospital

The old hospital is now apartments, and a new hospital stands across the street. It is a private hospital and a relative told me it is one of the best in Sydney, which is nice to know. I really enjoyed diving back to the earliest of my days as I had never re-visited these places before.

And so I leave you for now, dear readers, with this photo of the Mater Garden which was just around the corner from the flat. I suspect Nadine and I were brought here often for playing and our 'sunbaths'. It was a lovely exploration for me around my 'pre-memory' days. 

Thank you for joining me on this non-touristy blog. 






19 comments:

  1. I am so pleased to learn about your birth place and see a picture of your mom! What a wonderful gift for your history. I’m going to enjoy this trip. Thank you for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alwynne how ling are you in Sydney? I f you would like to meet up let me know and I can use Public transport to get anywhere to meet you. Cheers Natalie Logan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't see this post before now. I'll definitely let you know ahead of time next trip.

      Delete
  3. Lovely trip with you down memory lane.
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better than the book ! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to be off the beaten path. Sydney neighborhoods are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! A wonderful trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to travel with you, Alwynne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed going with you on your photographic walk down memory lane! Especially liked seeing your economy sleeping quarters. The travel time of 36 hours does sound daunting but the destination was worth it, I am sure! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Non-touristy, yes, but so interesting! I'm glad you got this wonderful chance to explore your roots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Non-touristy, yes, but so interesting! I'm really glad you got this chance to explore your pre-memory days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great, Alwyn! I feel as if I’m there with you- thanks for sharing😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love reading what you write!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy your adventures through your childhood in Sydney. Your pictures are very lovely. Keep me posted. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once more you have hit the road for adventure and kinship. Rae looks so much like Nadine, I did a double take. You, of course looked a beautiful baby. Thanks for the enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to locate these places! I’m enjoying every photo and annotation, Alwynne. MaryJane

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a lovely account of your birth and early years…fortunate for you to see it and to share. Thank you..Lynne Pelletiere

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so neat to see where you were born and your first home! It's so cool to be able to revisit and see the changes after so many years. And for what it's worth, I think "Crows Nest" is actually a pretty cool name - very pirate-themed! Now that I think about it, you've kinda come full circle from being born in a piratey town, to now living in a piratey town.

    ReplyDelete