Monday, January 23, 2017

Saturday, January 21st, 2107 - Looking Forward with a Dip Back

When I heard that some women in Fernandina were organizing a 'march on Washington' two days after I left, I was disappointed that I not be able to join them. I am not a marcher - the only march I joined in the 60's was an anti-apartheid protest in Canberra. I could clearly understand the injustice of that! When I heard about this march, my heart informed me to join, even though I couldn't clearly articulate just one core reason. So I was thrilled when I Googled the London march and decided to join them. 

I  didn't make my own sign, but this one spoke to me!


As you might imagine, I have so many photos of this event, you don't want to see them all. It is hard to pick out the best. I am always really impressed with people's creativity and pithiness in the medium of posters. So I decided to briefly relay the story, then in a sepatrate blog just line up some that had signs I enjoyed so you can look at them or not, as you wish.

So, I set out in the morning for Grosvenor Square, where the American Embassy is located. Not sure what I'd find - perhaps just a handful?


As I got in the train at Baker Street to Oxford Square, I suspected I might be in the right place! 


Once arriving at Oxford Street, I knew for sure - both the elevators were going up!


It was so crowded, I wasn't able to get to Grosvenor Square - this was a side street - Brook Street. We stood here for quite a while, wondering if we would ever actually move. People were cheerful, respectful, courteous, patient and spirited. Every time a helicopter flew overhead a roar went up. There was some drumming and chanting behind my location, but I couldn't understand the words. Finally, after about an hour and a half, movement began.


There were quite a few 'pussy hats'


And yes.......I really was there! I like the sign behind me, too.


We finally entered Grosvenor Square. The American Embassy was on the right as we left the square. This is what is looks like - rather a fortress, isn't it? There was no hostility directed toward it - the marchers treated it like any other building. The only negative statements I heard were chants against American facism and American racism (well - apart from the clear anti-Trump statements).


It was a lot of fun to see lots of iconic sights as we marched - this is St James' Palace on Pall Mall.



Finally we arrived in Trafalgar Square - this is Lord Nelson's Column.


Another marcher told me that they organizers had been expecting 20,000 people, but the estimated crowd was 100,000. I thought this sign just about summed it up! Like I said, I love the humor and creativity of people in these situations!


After finding a nice hot cup of tea and a bathroom, the light was getting low in Trafalgar Square. This photo shows the statue of Charles 1 at Charing Cross, looking toward Big Ben catching the last of the light.

But the day was not over for me. I had booked tickets at Festival Hall, one of the places I had been a frequent flyer as a teen. Tonight's offering? - a semi-staged Fidelio - a Beethoven opera which tells the story of a woman (Leonora) who has to dress up as a man (Fidelio) in order to save her husband who has been imprisoned for speaking out against a terrible tyrant! Now how's that for perfect planning!


So over the Queens Walk I headed! The London Eye is a new feature here, it wasn't there when I used to attend in the 60's.


Festival Hall was looking very festive on the South Bank tonight. I had lots of time to wander. The whole South Bank walk is new and I was really impressed with the lighting and liveliness of the area,


And finally, I found my seat ready for the concert. It's been 50 years since I visited this place! The 15/16 year old me used to often sit in the seats you can see behind the orchestra. I loved to watch the conductor and be so close to the  music. Although I was high up on this night, the quality of the music was superb and I made my way 'home' a very happy girl after a superb day.

4 comments: