Monday, March 13, 2017

Sunday March 5th, 2017 - My Namesake!



Many years ago, my parents told me I was named after a boat! A curious child might have asked, "Tell me, o wise ones, what is it about this boat that you chose it for me?", but sadly, I had not yet reached such wisdom, so the question was never asked. However, in my heart I was a little disappointed, as a boat seemed too remote for me to relate to. I have always been very land-based! Of course, I imagined it must have been a rather magnificent ocean-going vessel to be worthy of my name!

A few years ago my curiosity was spurred by a little sailing award I had found from my father's yacht racing days in Hobart, so I googled the name of the boat he was in and the date of the race, which I recall as being 1936. 


I found this picture of Dad's award in my computer, but can't read the details, so will have to wait until I'm home to read it properly!

In addition to his boat being referenced, the name 'Alwyn' also showed up in the results! (My parents had mentioned to me that they had feminized my name by adding the extra 'ne' at the end.) My ego was bruised to discover that the boat Dad had named me after to was a mere sailing dinghy! However, I was impressed that he had carried the name in his head for 15 years, as I was born in 1951. I had also read letters between them questioning whether the name was really suitable for me - clearly it won out!


While I was in Hobart, a cousin, Richard Marsland, spontaneously produced race results for the 'Alwyn', confirming independently that there had been a boat of that name and that he was aware that it was connected to me. He even found a picture of her in the yacht club records. That was pretty thrilling, because she was more than just a sailing dinghy! My status was elevated a little!

The fun really began when I got to Melbourne and my other cousin, Angus Marsland, started googling. What a treasure trove of information he uncovered! Here is the link Angus found. 

The most exciting discovery was that this boat was still 'alive' and living in Williamstown, not far from where I planned to travel the next day. So, off I went to find her! (Ironically, it is also quite close to where Dad had worked as the General Manager of the Navy Dockyard in the 1960's.)


I discovered that she is a well-loved grand old dame, built in Hobart in 1923. She has a fine sailing record that continues to this day, having won many races in the past and continuing to win in her class! However, she was not named 'Alwyn' from the Welsh name that means 'friend', but was derived from the names  'Alice' and 'Winifred', who were the wives of the builders! Does this mean I should become a little less friendly now?


I was fortunate to speak with her current owner, who has lots of information about her and a very high regard for her present and past credentials. She is on the Australian Register of Historic Vessels. I may be able to track her future successes as time goes by! It was a most fun experience!


2 comments:

  1. Maybe name came from both sources, wives names and Welsh friend. Cool history, and on Register of Historic Vessels!

    ReplyDelete