Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Saturday March 11th through Friday March 18th, 2017 - Highlights fromThe Fast Track ....To The North!

My indulgence in beauty spots shifted as I headed north - not the beauty spots - but my availability to focus on them. Now that I'm on a track to visit family and friends, I have spent time either behind the wheel of my car, or enjoying rare visits that didn't include the camera.

I've travelled from Melbourne to Brisbane via Candelo, Canberra, Sydney and Armidale - a distance of about 2,000 km (1,250 miles). While there has been a lot of iconic Australian landscape - browned off pasture spotted with gum trees and sheep - it was a very beautiful drive.

It began well in Marlo, Victoria with a lovely sunrise.


It was still....and the water was pond-like.


The fishermen were already out.


As I looked at the patterns in the sand, I could see how some of the rocks at the Grampians may have formed.

This was followed by some rock hopping at Cape Conran nearby. 


West Cape Conran at Salmon Rocks.


There were lots of fishing trailers. It was a holiday weekend and people were making the most of the opportunity.


The rocks were red with lichen, similar to those from Bay of Fires in Tasmania, but my camera was not able to really capture the color.


The East Cape was a quieter spot.

Driving up the Monaro Highway to New South Wales, I passed briefly through Bombala on my way to visit friends Ian and Nienke who live outside a lovely little town called Candelo in the Bega Valley. 


They live a highly sustainable lifestyle with solar power backed up by a small hydro generator in the creek. Gardening, raising cattle, goats and chickens gives them a high level of independence in food production. It was a marvelous respite from the world,  even though my visit was brief. 


The area was very green after recent rains.





This is the first time I have seen camels among the livestock!

On my way to Canberra I went up to the tablelands through Brown Mountain which was spectacular.


On a clear day you can see the ocean from here.


I was curious to see this drone being operated. The young man and his Dad were using it to put together a video of their travels. I wanted to know if the women gave it a second thought before they passed under it so casually!


Once up on the tablelands, the typical Australian rural landscape was spread out before me.....brown vegetation and sheep........

In Canberra I was able to connect with a cousin of my mother's along with several university friends.

I couldn't leave the area without stopping in at the vineyard Dad created outside Canberra when he retired from the Navy. It is now called the Lake George Winery. It was good to see that there have been even more vineyards established in the area and that his vines are still being tended by new owner, Theo.


Dad had named it 'Westering', so I was pleased to see that the name is still represented.


Theo was interested in my stories about Dad and seemed to care about the heritage of the place.


In addition to the cellar door and restaurant, the house that Dad built is still there with an extension. Theo said it is a good house to live in.


The plaque near the front gate is still there. Theo said he should move it closer to the cellar door so people can see it. I suggested it was fine where it was, but I was probably wrong!

On the way to Sydney, I stopped overnight at one of the Chesterman relatives I had met at the reunion. It was in the lovely Blue Mountains, but it was here that the rain truly began, so spectacular views were obstructed. This will have to wait for another trip.

Sydney was rapid - enjoyed the hospitality of my cousin Jane and her husband, Johan and had a wonderful day with an aunt, Susan.

Finally the push north began seriously as I headed up the New England Highway after another marvelous visit in Terrigal with family historian and cousin of my mother's, Quentin.


Quentin's wife, Jan fixed a delicious lunch to send me on my way.

It was fortunate that I wanted to visit Armidale to see where my mother went to University, as it turned out that heavy rains had closed the Pacific Highway, the other, shorter route to Brisbane. While I drove through bursts of Florida-like rain, I mostly experienced either light or no rain as I drove. 


I passed through lots of little country towns.



Finding rest areas is a bit trickier than in the USA. This one was a pit toilet but I'am always grateful when they have toilet paper in them, which has usually been the case.


Near the end of the day, I came across a lovely lookout - the Moonbi Lookout. The rock is ugly, but the views were not.




I'll pick up the story next time with my visit to the University of New England in Armidale where I spent the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment